McMunn & Yates Building Supplies Ltd. and our affiliates and subsidiaries ("McMunn & Yates Building Supplies") are committed to safeguarding the personal information entrusted to us by our customers.
About this Policy:
- Visits to our stores, Commercial Division and warehouses
- Use of our websites
- Interactions over the phone
- Attendance at our events
- Email communication and advertisements
- Social media interactions like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest
- Viewing our online advertisements
- Registering and participating in our MY Make it better Rewards Program
- Registering for a McMunn & Yates Building Supplies residential or commercial account
- Information about a person that is publicly available and is specified by regulation pursuant to the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").
- Personal information that is not collected, used or disclosed, for commercial purposes
- Non-personally identifiable information.
- The name, title, business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization, where collection, use or disclosure of such information is solely for the purpose of communicating with the person about his or her employment, business or profession.
- Third party websites or links located on our website. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of any other site that collects personally identifiable information.
collection: The act of gathering, acquiring, recording, or obtaining personal information from any source, including third parties, by any means.
consent: Voluntary agreement for the collection, use and disclosure of personal information for defined purposes. The form of consent we seek may vary, depending upon the circumstances and the type of personal information. In determining the form of consent, we take into account the sensitivity of the personal information and your reasonable expectations. Consent may be provided directly by you, or by your authorized representative, in accordance with applicable law.
disclosure: Making personal information available to a third party.
employee: An employee of, or an independent contractor to, McMunn & Yates Building Supplies. The inclusion of independent contractors within the definition of "employee" is for convenience of reference only, and should in no manner imply that such independent contractors are our employees within the meaning of employment legislation or are in an employee-employer relationship with us.
personal information: Information about an identifiable individual, but does not include information that is used for the purpose of communicating or facilitating communication with an individual in relation to their employment, business or profession, such as the individual’s name, position name or title, work address, work telephone number, work fax number or work electronic address.
third party: An individual or organization outside of McMunn & Yates Building Supplies.
use: The treatment, handling, and management of personal information by and within McMunn & Yates Building Supplies or by a third party with the knowledge and approval of McMunn & Yates Building Supplies.
we: Means (and "us", "our", and "ours" refer to) McMunn & Yates Building Supplies.
you: Means (and "your" refers to) the user of our services and products, and your successors, heirs, administrators, executors and assigns (as the case may be).
Accountability for our handing of personal information:
The information we collect:
Contact information – we may collect the names and user names of our customers, home address – including billing and shipping addresses, phone number, purchase history, email addresses, and other digital contact information.
Returns information – when you return or exchange a product to any of our stores, you may be asked to provide your name, address, phone number and provide proof to confirm identity, such as your driver’s licence. This information is collected to track returns and help prevent fraudulent activity.
Payment information – when you make a purchase, we collect payment information, including your credit or debit card information, cheque or gift card and authentication information, such as a signature.
Demographic information – we may collect information like your age or gender.
Location information – we may collect location data obtained from your mobile device or IP address. We use this location data to find your nearest store and provide driving directions to our stores. If you would prefer not to provide us with your device’s location information, you can control what location information is shared in the settings menu of your device. This information may be used to contact you about the products and services on our website in which you have expressed interest.
Employment-related information – if you apply for an employment opportunity, you may provide us with certain personal information about yourself, including previous and current employment history.
Other information – we may capture your image with closed circuit television cameras when you visit our stores, to detect and prevent fraud. We may also collect any of the information or content you provide through our website and social media platforms. If you use our website, we collect your IP address and other related information such as the type of browser and operating system you are using. We might also track the pages you visit.
For more detail about the information we collect about you through our website and our MY Make it better Rewards Program, please see the "Our website" and "MY Make it better Rewards Program" headings below.
How we collect your information:
All information collected is directly from you. The following are a few ways of how we collect information:
- Store visits and purchases
- Inquiries made by phone call
- Website visits and purchases
- Social media interaction, including uploading, sharing photos and tagging of photos
- Survey registration
- Contest and promotion related
- Registering and participating in our MY Make it better Rewards Program
- Registering for a McMunn & Yates Building Supplies residential or commercial account
- Passively through tracking tools, such as cookies - for more information about how we collect your information through our website, please see the "Our website" heading below
You may withdraw consent at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. You may contact us for more information regarding the implications of withdrawing consent.
How we use your information:
For our marketing – we may send communications about specials or offers. We may notify you of new services or contests.
To improve our services, including product offerings – we may use your information to make improvements to product offerings and customer service.
To communicate with you – we may contact you to inform you about recent changes to certain programs in which you are an active member in or regarding your account information.
Loss prevention – we may use your information to protect our company, our customers and our website.
Customer interests – we may collect your information to localize specific common trends or interests.
Social media – we may collect your information if you submit a question, answer, comment or any social media interaction like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest. If you enter a contest, promotion or other program offering, we collect personal information such as your username and other information required to administer your participation in the contest. Participation in these surveys or contests is voluntary and you may choose whether to participate or not. Information requested may include, but not limited to, contact information (such as name and address), demographic information (such as postal code, age) and interests. Contact information will be used to notify the winners and award prizes.
Authentication – we may collect your information to authenticate your identity, such as when you sign into your account or when you ask to access your personal information in accordance with the "Access to your personal information" heading below.
MY Make it better Rewards Program – as you participate in the program, we will use the information you provide us in order to administer the program, in accordance with its terms and conditions. For more information about how the MY Make it better Rewards Program collects, uses and discloses your personal information, please see the "MY Make it better Rewards Program" heading below.
Operation of our website – we may collect your information if you access and interact with our website. For more information about what information we collect through our website, for what purposes that information is used and your choices about the information we collect through our website, please see the "Our website" heading below.
Legal or regulatory purposes – we may collect your information to comply with legal or regulatory requirements.
Other purposes described to you or to which you consent – we may collect your information for any other reason we describe to you, when you provide the information to us, or as otherwise consented to, by you.
Disclosure of your information:
We will not disclose personal information for purposes other than those purposes for which it was collected, except with your consent or as required or permitted by law. We may disclose your personal information:
- When we have your consent, whether express or implied
- To your authorized representatives
- If and when we are involved in a corporate reorganization or if we sell or lease all or part of our business
- To meet legal and regulatory requirements
- Where required or permitted by law
In such circumstances, we will not disclose more information than is required for the purpose for which the information is being disclosed. We will also, whenever it is reasonable and practicable to do so, enter into privacy agreements with third parties with whom we share personal information.
We will retain personal information only as long as it remains necessary or relevant for the identified purposes or as required or permitted by law. Where personal information has been used to make a decision about you, we shall retain, for a period of time that is reasonably sufficient to allow for access you, either the actual information or the rationale for making such decision.
Only our employees who require access for legitimate reasons or whose duties reasonably so require, are granted access to personal information.
We maintain reasonable controls, schedules and practices for personal information management retention and destruction. Personal information that is no longer necessary or relevant for the identified purposes, or is required by law to be retained, is destroyed, erased or made anonymous, as appropriate in the circumstances.
There are diﬀerent types of cookies. A “session” cookie is erased from memory when a visitor’s browser closes. A “persistent” cookie expires based on a time set by the web server. Persistent cookies help websites identify speciﬁc visitors and their preferences when they return to a website.
Disabling or blocking cookies may affect your ability to use our website. If you want to change your cookie preferences, you must change your browser’s preferences to enable/keep, disable/block/restrict, or delete/remove cookies. For the best experience of our website, we recommend enabling cookies. Enabling cookies is handled by your browser’s security settings, which are speciﬁc to each browser and operating system. Please check with the company that created your browser if you need more information.
We may also use web beacons, clear gifs, or other similar technologies (Pixel Tags). A Pixel Tag is an electronic image, often a single pixel (1x1), which is ordinarily not visible and which may be associated with cookies on the visitors’ storage drives. We may use Pixel Tags to track your use of our website for advertising, marketing, or promotional purposes, and to determine whether you opened an email message from us. This information also enables us to customize the services we offer you.
In some instances, we may generate profiles from your personal information. We may disclose these profiles to third parties to enable them to provide targeted content or advertisements to you, or for their own business analysis and research purposes, based on the fact that you have previously visited our website (this process is sometimes referred to as Retargeting). So, you should be aware that:
- We may disclose information about which products and services you have viewed on our website, to third party vendors, so that they can use that information to deliver advertisements about products and services we think may be of interest to you.
- For more information about how Retargeting works, you can visit Google's website, which provides information about how Google Ads uses Retargeting.
- If you would like to opt out of Retargeting, please see the "Your choices about how our website collects your information" heading below.
Website traffic patterns
Our internet servers may passively and automatically collect certain information about website visitors’ traffic patterns, which may be linked to their Internet Protocol (IP) addresses (which are unique internet “addresses” assigned to all internet users by their internet service providers). Server logs may record statistical information, such as visitors’ IP addresses, type of operating systems, time and duration of visit, pages requested, and identify categories of visitors by items such as domains and browser types. These statistics are generally collected and used on an aggregate basis.
Other information collected by our website
- Non-personal information, that does not directly or indirectly reveal your identity or directly relate to an identified individual, such as statistical or aggregated information. Statistical or aggregated data does not directly identify a specific person, but we may derive non-personal statistical or aggregated data from personal information. For example, we may aggregate personal information to calculate the percentage of users accessing a specific website feature.
- Technical information, including your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, or information about your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our website, and usage details.
- Non-personal details about your website interactions, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URLs), clickstream to, through and from our website (including date and time), products or services you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page, or any phone number used to call our customer service number.
Why do we collect this information?
The information we collect automatically is statistical information and may include personal information, and we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways, that you provide to us, or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our website according to your individual interests, including showing you advertisements that we think will be of interest to you
- Speed up your searches
- Recognize you when you return to our website
- Show our advertisements on external sites
Your choices about how our website collects your information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us.
You can opt out of several third party ad servers’ and networks’ cookies simultaneously by using opt out tools created by Google Advertising, the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada or by the Network Advertising Initiative. You may also opt out of our use of Google Analytics by visiting the Google Analytics opt out page. We may have reporting of your aggregate interactions with our ads across the Google Display Network or DoubleClick for Advertisers in conjunction with activity on our website.
You can also access these websites to learn more about online behavioural advertising and how to stop websites from placing cookies on your device. Opting out of a network does not mean you will no longer receive online advertising. It does mean that the network from which you opted out will no longer deliver ads tailored to your web preferences and usage patterns.
In addition, we have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Third-Party Advertising. If you do not want us to share your personal information with unaffiliated or non-agent third parties for promotional purposes, you can opt out by sending us an email stating your request to our Privacy Officer.
- Promotional Offers. If you have opted in to receive certain emails from us but no longer wish to have your email address/contact information used by us to promote our own or third parties’ products or services, you can opt out by contacting our Privacy Officer. If we have sent you a promotional email, you may unsubscribe by clicking the unsubscribe link we have included in the email.
- Retargeting. If you do not want us to use information that we collect or that you provide to us to deliver advertisements according to our advertisers’ target-audience preferences, you can opt out by using the opt out tools created by the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada, the Network Advertising Initiative or Google Advertising.
MY Make it better Rewards Program:
We will use information you provide to us when you register for the MY Make it better Rewards Program (the "Program"), in order to allow you to participate in the Program.
The information we collect from you, as part of our administration of the Program, includes information about:
- Your account
- Products and services you have purchased, including what you have purchased, when, where and how frequently
- Your reward points balance
- Redemptions of your reward points
We collect this information in order to:
- Administer the Program
- Provide information to you, about the Program and other marketing promotions and contests we may offer, from time to time
- Accomplish other purposes that you have consented to or which are otherwise identified under the "How we use your information" heading above
Security of personal information:
We endeavor to maintain appropriate safeguards and adequate physical, procedural and technical security with respect to our offices and information storage facilities so as to prevent any unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, or modification of personal information.
Wherever we collect sensitive information (such as credit card data), that information is encrypted and transmitted to us in a secure way. You can verify this by looking for a lock icon in the address bar and looking for "https" at the beginning of the address of our website.
While we use encryption to protect sensitive information transmitted online, we also protect your information offline. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job (for example, billing or customer service) are granted access to personally identifiable information. Our staff receive privacy training regarding customer confidentiality and how to proper document and store all confidential information. The computers/servers in which we store personally identifiable information are kept in a secure environment until disposed of immediately following the legal requirements.
Should a breach of personal information occur which places you at a real risk of significant harm, we will immediately contact the affected individuals.
Accuracy of personal information:
We make reasonable efforts to ensure that personal information we collect, use or disclose is as accurate, complete and up-to-date as necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used. If you find any errors in our personal information holdings, we should be informed so that we can make the appropriate corrections. We will convey these corrections to any third party that may have been provided inaccurate information. For personal information that remains in dispute, we will make note in our records of your opinion as to accuracy of the relevant personal information.
Openness concerning our policies and procedures:
We are open about the policies, procedures and practices we use to protect your personal information. Information about these policies, procedures and practices will be made available to you either electronically or in writing.
Access to your personal information:
You may access any personal information that we have concerning you, and which has been collected, used or disclosed for a commercial purpose, by sending a written request to our Privacy Officer. We may advise you in advance if there is a minimal charge to conduct a search of our records and will respond within 30 days, or advise that the request for access is subject to an extension as authorized by PIPEDA.
To protect your privacy, you may be required to provide sufficient identification, in order to permit us to account for the existence, use and disclosure of certain personal information and to authorize access to such information. Any such information will only be used for this purpose.
We may not be able to provide personal information to you if doing so would violate the privacy of a third party or if certain personal information is subject to legal privilege, contains information proprietary to us or a third party, is too costly to retrieve, or cannot be disclosed for other legal reasons. If we are unable to provide access to all or part of your personal information, we will explain our reasons for such a decision.
Where you have been provided with access to your personal information, you will be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of your personal information and have it amended as appropriate.
Personal information that is disclosed to third parties by us will be subject to the general laws applicable in the jurisdiction in which the third party conducts business. As a result, and in certain limited situations, we may not be legally permitted to account for certain collections, uses or disclosures of personal information. In most circumstances, however, we shall provide an account of the collection, use and disclosure of personal information and, where reasonably possible, we shall state the source of the personal information. In providing an account of disclosure, we shall provide a list of organizations to which we may have disclosed your personal information when it is not possible to provide an actual list.
Challenging compliance with privacy laws:
Kristen Smith DeBattista
Please also visit the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada’s website at https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/, or call the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada at 1-800-282-1376.